"Oh my gosh!! I can't believe we're getting married!! I cannot wait to start planning for our wedding." You only have about 30 minutes before you have to run out the door for an appointment, but why not check out some wedding photographers in the mean time? It's not that hard to pick one right? You head over to the computer, type in 'Goshen Wedding Photographer', click ENTER and your eyes completely widen. "This is going to be harder than I thought" you say.
Finding a photographer that's right for you in todays over saturated market is a lot harder than one would think. No matter what kind of photographer you're looking for, whether it be for family photos or wedding photos, there will always be hundreds of options to choose from. So in today's KMS Bridal Education post I have decided to give you three tips that will help you sort through all the photographers in the surrounding area and find your perfect match!
3 Things to Look at When Booking a Photographer:
1. Their Style: In the photography world, there are mainly three styles to choose from: Light & Airy, Dark & Moody, and Country Rustic (which is what I call the happy in-between.) Here are some examples of each.
Light & Airy
With the Light & Airy style the photo is bright and has a light-weight feel to it. The colors are very calm and it doesn't look like there's a lot of extra editing done to it. The photo looks very natural and fresh. (Beautiful Photo by: Arielle Peters Photography.)
Dark & Moody
In this style, the photos kind of take on a Rennasaunce feel. They are very dark and dramatic. They definitely live up to their "moody" title.
In this example, you see that the colors are bright but the photo still has a bit of a fade/haze to it, which is why I call it rustic. In my opinion it's full of color and life. This is my style and both are my photos. (If you'd like to see more from these sessions, just click on the photos.)
As you can see, the names pretty much speak for themselves. In my opinion, it's very important to pick a photographer that matches your style; otherwise you probably won't like how the photos turn out in the end.
2. Their Personality: When looking for a photographer, you want to find one that has a personality similar to yours. For example: I am a bubbly person. So when looking for a photographer, I want to find someone who is joyful, kind, respectful, ect.... because I know I will mesh well with that person. If I hired someone that was complaining all the time or just wanted to clock in and clock out, our personalities wouldn't mesh and in the end, I would not be happy with the photos. (Let me give you a little extra tid-bit. As the couple, you remember and like the photos based on the experience. So, if you have a negative experience during the session, no matter how good you look in the photos, you won't like them. Because they bring back negative memories and emotions. Doing everything you can to create a great and joyful experience makes it that much more likely you'll absolutely LOVE the images in the end.)
3. Their Heart: Are they there for a paycheck or are they there for YOU? I tend to explain this as the Transactional Photographer versus the Experiential Photographer. The first one sees you as client. They walk in, perform their duties and walk out. It's a transaction of a service for a payment. The second one views you as someone they want to serve. They want to get to know you as a person, create an unforgettable experience and have you walking away feeling like a life-long friend. If you want to hire someone who you know will get the job done and that's all that matters, then the first one is for you. However, if you want someone you know cares about you and will go above and beyond to make your vision come to life, then the second one is the the one I recommend. (which is my heart.)
(In addition to these three tips, it is important to make sure the photographer is experienced and takes good photos.)
So there you have it! I hope this has helped you and that you will find your perfect photographer soon! [I would totally be honored if that was me ;) ] If you missed the first two blogs in the KMS Bridal Education Series, check them out!
1. How to Choose Your Outfit For Your Engagement Session
2. 5 Ways to Prepare For Your Engagement Session
If you are interested in becoming a KMS Bride, check out my Engagement and Wedding portfolios! If you want to know what it looks like to become a KMS Bride, head over to my For My Brides page and read about the KMS Bride Experience! :)
Looking forward to meeting you!
| Taylor K. Marie Rohrer |